Naples, Florida, is not only a fantastic destination in itself, but it also serves as a great base for exploring the surrounding area. Here are some of the best day trips you can take from Naples:
- Everglades National Park: Just a short drive from Naples, Everglades National Park is a must-visit destination. Embark on an airboat tour to explore the vast wetlands, spot alligators and other wildlife, and learn about this unique ecosystem.
- Sanibel Island and Captiva Island: Located off the coast of Fort Myers, Sanibel Island and Captiva Island offer pristine beaches, shelling opportunities, and a laid-back island vibe. Spend the day sunbathing, swimming, and exploring the charming coastal communities.
- Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary: This nature preserve, located northeast of Naples, is home to a 2.5-mile boardwalk that winds through diverse ecosystems, including a cypress forest and wet prairies. Keep an eye out for wildlife such as alligators, birds, and otters.
- Marco Island: Just south of Naples, Marco Island boasts beautiful beaches, water sports activities, and a relaxed atmosphere. Enjoy a day of sun and sand, or take a boat tour to explore the Ten Thousand Islands, a coastal mangrove ecosystem.
- Edison and Ford Winter Estates: Head north to Fort Myers and visit the historic homes and gardens of Thomas Edison and Henry Ford. Learn about their inventions and explore the botanical gardens surrounding the estates.
- Naples Botanical Garden: If you’re looking for a day of tranquility and natural beauty, the Naples Botanical Garden is the perfect spot. Wander through the themed gardens, including a tropical garden, a water garden, and a butterfly garden.
- Key West: While it’s a longer trip, Key West can be reached by car or ferry from Naples. Explore the vibrant streets, enjoy water activities, visit the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, and witness the famous sunset celebration at Mallory Square.
- Big Cypress National Preserve: Located adjacent to Everglades National Park, Big Cypress offers an immersive experience in the Florida wilderness. Take a scenic drive, go hiking or biking, or try your hand at fishing in the preserve’s waterways.
- Naples Pier and Beach: Don’t forget to make the most of what Naples itself has to offer. Spend a day at the iconic Naples Pier, where you can fish, watch the sunset, or simply take in the beautiful coastal views. Relax on the white sandy beaches and enjoy the warm Gulf waters.
- The Revs Institute: Car enthusiasts will appreciate a visit to The Revs Institute, located in Naples. This museum houses a collection of rare and vintage automobiles, showcasing the history of automotive engineering and design.
These day trips offer a range of experiences, from natural wonders to cultural attractions, ensuring that you can make the most of your time exploring the diverse surroundings of Naples.