St. Augustine, Florida, may be steeped in history and known for its charming attractions, but it’s also a place where you can embrace the quirky and offbeat. If you’re looking for the strangest things to do when visiting St. Augustine, here are some unique experiences to consider:
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Museum: Explore the bizarre and extraordinary at the Ripley’s museum, where you’ll encounter unusual artifacts, oddities, and curiosities from around the world. From shrunken heads to strange inventions, this museum is a fascinating journey into the weird and wonderful.
- The Ximenez-Fatio House Bed and Breakfast: Spend a night in a haunted bed and breakfast. The Ximenez-Fatio House is rumored to be one of the most haunted places in St. Augustine. While it may not be for the faint of heart, it’s a spooky and memorable experience.
- Pirate Museum: Delve into the world of pirates at the St. Augustine Pirate & Treasure Museum. With interactive exhibits, authentic pirate artifacts, and even a replica pirate ship, this museum offers a quirky look at the city’s seafaring past.
- Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park: Drink from the legendary Fountain of Youth and explore this archaeological park, where you’ll find historical reenactments, Native American exhibits, and the supposed resting place of Ponce de Leon.
- Whetstone Chocolate Factory Tour: Take a tour of the Whetstone Chocolate Factory and learn about the chocolate-making process. It’s a unique opportunity to satisfy your sweet tooth while discovering the art of chocolate production.
- Haunted Pub Crawl: Embark on a haunted pub crawl through St. Augustine’s historic streets. A local guide will regale you with tales of ghostly encounters while you enjoy drinks at some of the city’s oldest and eeriest establishments.
- Gator Bob’s Museum: Visit Gator Bob’s Museum to witness an extensive collection of taxidermied animals, including an impressive array of alligators and other exotic creatures. It’s a place where the bizarre and the natural world collide.
- Funky Pelican Beach Bar: Enjoy a meal at the Funky Pelican Beach Bar in Flagler Beach, a short drive from St. Augustine. It’s not strange in itself, but the quirky décor, oceanfront views, and eclectic menu give it a unique and laid-back vibe.
- Dress as a Pirate: Embrace your inner pirate by dressing up in full pirate regalia and taking to the streets of St. Augustine. You’ll fit right in with the city’s pirate-themed attractions and spirited atmosphere.
- Wolf’s Museum of Mystery: Discover the weird and wonderful at Wolf’s Museum of Mystery, where you’ll find an assortment of oddities, paranormal artifacts, and curiosities from around the world. It’s a truly eccentric experience.
While St. Augustine is known for its historical charm, these strange and quirky activities add an extra layer of fun and intrigue to your visit. So, whether you’re sipping from the Fountain of Youth, exploring a pirate museum, or immersing yourself in the bizarre, you’ll find plenty of unusual adventures to enjoy in this unique city.